Sunday, June 26, 2011

Favorite Fighting Games

Seeing as how I just can't seem to figure out how to introduce this post, i'm just going to type out my idea: "My top 3 favorite fighting games on the xbox 360". Now, when I say on the xbox 360, I mean non XBLA titles, because sorting through all of those would just be a pain, and i'm not comfortable enough with this "blog a day" thing to actually take extensive amounts of time on a single topic. Most likely, I will in the future, but not now. Okay now, without further adieu, here are my top 3:

1. Mortal Kombat 9

2. SoulCalibur 4

3. Marvel vs. Capcom 3

(also, as a sidenote, I would just like to throw in Blazblue: Continuum Shift into to mix because I would like for that game to have a few more fans. It's pretty interesting, if your into anime and things of the sort...)

Now onto the summaries!!
Mortal Kombat 9 is what I like to call "America's fighting game". I say this because the company is from America, it is more popular in America then in most other countries, and it is extremely violent. Now mind you, this is not why I enjoy the game, they are just some little interesting facts that I happened to come across. As for the game itself, it has quite a bit going for it. The most in depth story mode any fighting game has ever had (not a single loading screen between fights and cutscenes), interesting characters whose moves are quick and easy to understand, and a VERY large extra content vault. Not to mention the fatalities, which in itself make the game worth buying, just to see the strange and extreme ways the developers decided to kill off their characters (sounds disturbing which... well... it actually is... but I assure you that each fatality is unique and, after awhile, bearable.). So if you are looking for a violent and easily comprehend-able fighting game with many weird any strange nuggets of comedy wedged in, Mortal Kombat 9 is right up your alley!

SoulCalibur 4... where to start...
I'm going to be honest with you, this game is relatively old, well, at least in terms of it's console release date. Basically, it started selling in 2007, not very long after the Xbox 360's release, so it was one of the first games released on the console. This doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, it's just a bit... out of date. But no worries! This does not effect gameplay in the slightest! In fact, gameplay is probably the second highest reason I enjoy this game so much. 8- way run. This mechanic, which was new to me at the time, allowed the player to choose how he/she wanted to attack via 8 directions. This allowed for some pretty devastating combos and maneuvers. Though this did make the game much more tactical, it is not the reason I enjoyed it so much. You may think i'm crazy for enjoying a fighting game so much for this reason, but hey, i'm not your average gamer! I LOVED the character creator. NEVER have I been able to create Ronald McDonald, Mario/Luigi, and every character from Kingdom Hearts in a single game. It may just be me, but watching Cloud Strife beat up Nightmare and Voldo is oddly satisfying.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3, one of the most hyper fighting games I have ever played...
This game is like the bullet-hell shooters of fighting games. If you aren't dominating the fight, you are being bounced from wall to wall while Wesker and Super Skrull wreck your life with ridiculous combos and supers. Meanwhile, Sentinel is firing lasers and rockets from every possible direction, eliminating any possible ability to block. Be that as it may, this is not the game, it's just ranked matches. If you would like to avoid a humiliating defeat, don't jump right into a ranked game, experiment a bit. See what character you are comfortable with, and what team compliments his supers the best. I enjoy this game solely for it's combat. I don't usually play any fast-paced fighting games, but Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has changed my mind a bit. The combination of hundreds of relentless combos to the beautiful new image of the Marvel and Capcom characters makes this game quite the ride. If your looking for a quick and largely team based fighting game, I recommend picking this title up via Games on Demand, Gamefly, or whatever system of obtaining games you may have.

Also, if you are interested in facing a terrible opponent with almost zero precision or tactic, or just want somebody who has a microphone to go a few rounds with, send a message to Blade579 on Xbox 360.

"Live Laugh Love Ragequit"
-Blade579

No comments:

Post a Comment